Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday

So another day down for the week.

Yesterday the 26th, was Australia Day. I celebrated it by joining friends at a BBQ at Philip Park just near Seaworld which is located on a part of the Gold Coast called "The Spit", a stretch of coast that forms an island where boating abounds and the better part of the foreshore is un-touched.  It still retains the vegetative dunes whereas the remainder of the Gold Coast does not.

The day was very relaxing, had quite a few beers but not to the point where I was a fool, it's interesting how when you drink beer frequently during the week but no to the point of excess that your tolerance begins to get higher and higher.  About two to three years ago I would've struggled to drink the same amount that I did this day.  Maybe it's because my objective is not to get drunk but to slake my thirst with a fine beverage.

After the BBQ meandered over to a friends place and chatted whilst listening to Triple J's Hottest 100 of 2010.  Was nice listening to tracks that I had heard over the course of the year, every song bringing back a memory, particularly while driving the truck for work.  Ah the joys of driving a truck, near endless hours of listening to the radio and been entertained by the hosts.  Certainly makes a lonely drive less lonely and quite comfortable.  Got to a point though, not far from number one, that Ash and I decided to head home and listen to the last few songs in our own comfort, number one was disappointing.  Angus and Julia Stone's "Big Jet Plane" hmm should have seen that coming, they had been high on the musical radar all last year.  I even attended a gig of theirs, and admittedly they are a great band to see and hear live, plus the fact that they have some really emotionally driven tracks which I do enjoy.  As for them snagging the No.1 spot well it would have been nice to hear something from left field retain the top spot.

Alas not all is as hoped for.

After the No.1 position was played, Ash myself and two of our close friends headed down to our pool and spend some considerable time getting wrinkly ha ha.  Was very nice to float around, dive and just relax in the comfort of water.  Something that I don't do very often, but which I think is a perfectly human activity that we all really enjoy.

Well Ash left today for Airlie Beach, dropped him off at the airport, had a little detour as I missed the turn off due to me having no idea about the new road they have had in place, to be honest I'd quite forgotten because I'd gotten so use to Perth's roads.  I find it interesting that I now have a few cities and towns mapped out inside my mind.  Another testament to the ability of one's brain to retain so much information.

At some point last night I decided to write a short story, something along the lines of a character (narrator) astral planing through the universe, it isn't finished yet simply because I got to the end of the Milky Way Galaxy and my knowledge of what is beyond stopped there.  I did however try to use a designers website that has a "Scale of the Universe" flash program.  It possibly will help, however it got quite late and I tried to make it an early night.  One thing I think is that these stories sometimes are a great idea and you can get down the bulk of it and then you just pause, not quite running out of ideas for the story, but just needing more time to expand on what you have written and discover the direction in which to take the storyline.

This is story one of two that I have started, I'm sure I will get back to the other one eventually.  It has a slight horror feel to it.  Reason being is that I read alot of Stephen King and also Peter Straub, both of whom have collaborated over the years.  I would like to write a series of short stories rather than a whole novel.  I seem to come up with some tale every now and then and just plain don't have the time or drive to get it down on paper i.e the digital paper anyway.

I much prefer short stories at times to large ones, it helps to keep you stimulated mentally and you don't lose that focus.  Large or epic novels tend to let you drift off and you forget the context of the entire story.

Nothing else has really occurred, I slept till 12:30 today ergh, sucks not having a reason to get out of bed.  I then ventured to sit on the computer, either reading tweets or tweeting, it's funny how due to de-activating Facebook, Twitter has now become my crux.  Not a bad thing though, I much prefer getting this feed of semi-relevant information than the personal crud of people I know, not to say I don't care about people but sometimes people's Facebook statuses are dull and un-interesting.  I follow people and or sites that tweet interesting ideas or information regarding any number of topics and it just seems so much more fun and entertaining.

Plus with Twitter it's a nice alternative to text messaging.  A few times I have had along with Ash entire conversations with friends all using tweets, it's like a collective txt message conversation, it's pretty cool. You know what, you should try it.....

Hmm....it's really nice sitting here on my balcony, it's quiet I can hear the fish jumping out of the lake, possibly catching low flying insects.  The traffic of the freeway is but a distant sighing hum, the occasional car cruising along the main road behind me.  One thing that I found I enjoyed today as I drove home from Southport was the sunset, my it's beautiful! It is such a true indicator of the day slowing down, drawing to a close. I imagine it would be very nice to peacefully die to a sunset, very metaphorical and symbolic.  I find it funny how I much prefer a sunset to a sunrise, midway through last year I climbed Mt Warning in Northern N.S.W for a sunrise, it was truly beautiful but boy did the day feel long.  Sunset at that point felt like a lifetime away.

Well I shall finish on that note, this is me enjoying the sunset of my thoughts!

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment